Re: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 01:47:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Walter Reed wrote:
>
> >After that you are in the white list. Current subscribers are
> >auto-whitelisted.
> >
> >No manual intervention required, and you don't have to be a subscriber
> >to LK to post.
>
> Ok, so some jerk looks at the addresses of posters to l-k, and
> reconfigures his mailer to use a real poster's mail address. How
> does that stop him from posting?

The point is, it makes it harder, and he can't subscribe other
lists to it, since those other lists wouldn't be on the posters list.
There is always a balance between security and usability. We
need to find that balance. I believe this list to be one where in
general it is intended to be very open, but we may have to cut that
back a small bit in order to keep at least some of the junk off of
the list.

Stephen