Re: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:09:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:

>> >After that you are in the white list. Current subscribers are
>> >auto-whitelisted.
>> >
>> >No manual intervention required, and you don't have to be a subscriber
>> >to LK to post.
>>
>> Ok, so some jerk looks at the addresses of posters to l-k, and
>> reconfigures his mailer to use a real poster's mail address. How
>> does that stop him from posting?
>
> The point is, it makes it harder, and he can't subscribe other
>lists to it, since those other lists wouldn't be on the posters list.
> There is always a balance between security and usability. We
>need to find that balance. I believe this list to be one where in
>general it is intended to be very open, but we may have to cut that
>back a small bit in order to keep at least some of the junk off of
>the list.

Well, I hope to see nothing change, but if it is deemed to be
necessary by davem, et al. then I guess we'll have to bear with
the changes.

I'm interested to see what Linus thinks about it personally. I
would be inclined to believe he would like to leave it the same,
and make a personal visit to our "friend"'s house late in the
evening - after consuming 10 entire packages of penguin mints,
and losing the latest version of the kernel after 10 days work,
and fsck saying that his disk is toast.

;o)

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Need a room? Rooms Plus Travel Guide http://www.roomsplus.com