Re: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:06:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Bradley M Keryan wrote:
> Requiring posters to be subscribed would not work very well unless there
> is an alternative (such as requiring "[lk]" on the subject line, as was
> suggested previously).

I think you misinterpreted what I suggested; there would be two lists of
people who can post: a "posters" list, and a "subscribers" list. The
posters list would receive no messages at all; they would simply be a
registry of people who have stated that they would like to post to the
list.

The "subscribers" list would be everyone who is currently subscribed right
now.

Simple, effective, and requires only one simple step for those people who
want to post something, but don't want to receive the volume of mail of
this list at that address. It also provides accountability; if a
particular posting address becomes a source of abuse, it's removed.

I see very few downsides to this, other that people seemingly having a
hard time with the idea of having to register in some manner to post to
this list.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]