Re: probable PIIX4 problem

Dieter =?iso-8859-1?Q?N=FCtzel?= (andre@suse.com)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:33:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, tom wrote:

> Le Fri, 20 Aug 1999, andre@suse.com a écrit :

> The machine can't read from a disk while hdparm hasn't returned (about 30 s,
> all spent filling my log with this kind of messages).
> hda (primary master) : Quantum fireball 3.2 UDMA (33)
> hdb (primary slave) : Atapi Zip drive (mounted as hdb4)
> hdc (secondary master) : Atapi 8x CD drive

Let us first move the ZIP to hdd and see what happens.
Then reboot the same kernel. If same errors, then build a test kernel to
include active chipset tuning.

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX_TUNING=y

If the second still fails to work, there is a major hardware issue.
This is not what I want to find since the updates from AB->EB are painful
to detect, but treatable.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy