Re: No network = no compile ???

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:01:51 -0400

Anton Ivanov <anton.ivanov@level3.com> said:
> On 20-Aug-99 Linux Lists wrote:

[...]

> > My department's switch was down, which disconnected my systems from the
> > network (and, thus, from the Internet, DNS server, and so on). In this
> > situation, I couldn't compile the kernel !!! If I did a 'make bzlilo', it
> > would get stuck in the first compilation (main.c). Why is that ??
> >
> > Once the network came back up, I could compile the kernel as usual,
> > without having to change anything in the Linux system.

> Somewhere in the beginning of the compile there is a script that determines
> who@where compiles. Compile may fail if it returns an error.

Then place the required data in /etc/hosts, and make /etc/nsswitch.conf use
that before DNS for resolving hostnames. As a sideffect, sendmail(8)
starts much faster on boot ;-)

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616