RE: Linux 2.2.12pre

Terry Katz (katz@advanced.org)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 20:40:21 -0400

If your using a linear or raid-0 array without the superblock (the original
raid tools didn't support superblock on linear .. i tried :-/), then the
autodetection doesn't work.

Also you cannot upgrade a raid without a superblock to the new version ..
:-/

However .. you can use the raid0run utility to assemble an 'old-style' raid
under the new version and it works fine .. you do, though, have to create
the raidtab file and setup the raid in there.

This is something that should probably be a v2.3 thing, not a v2.2 since not
everyone reads about what they're getting into whenever they upgrade a minor
release (ok,ok, so not everyone reads about upgrading at all .. but ... )

I know the Debian linux distro already offers the v0.90 of the raidtools
(package 'raidtools2') in the unstable (potato) release, so thats not so bad
for some ... if its left in..

my 0.02..

Terry