Re: Huge patches such as ISDN

M Carling (m@idiom.com)
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:49:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, P.A.M. van Dam wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 04:15:52AM -0700, M Carling wrote:
>
> <snippet-y-snip>
>

> > Adding a huge patch now to 2.3 risks delaying 2.4. It also jeopardizes the
> > stability of 2.4. Either of these suffice, IMO, to justify postponing a
> > huge patch updating feature that is used by relatively few people (most of
> > whom probably compile their own kernels) until 2.5.1.
>
> Relatively few people. Mmm... ISDN is very important in some small
> countries (like The Netherlands) and some larger (largest) countries (like
> Germany, France)) in Europe. Here in Europe the use of ISDN is very wide-
> spread. (I haven't checked which continent you are from..).

I'm in France. ISDN is important to some people in a few countries and
these people can either patch and compile their own kernels or let
S.U.S.E. or another ISDN-friendly distributor do it for them.

> We DO benefit from the inclusion of the new ISDN patch which has not been
> updated as far back as the stable 2.0.x series. Commercial companies like
> SuSE which have a very big share in the Linux distribution market here
> will probably also like to see the ISDN patch included. Ofcourse, due to
> the fact that they're very close to the ISDN developpers they will
> include it somehow in their upcoming releases (as they did with 2.2.x).

Certainly, some people would benefit from the inclusion in 2.4 of the new
ISDN code. However, many more would be put at risk. I don't want to see
a repeat of the instability of 2.2.n (where n<12). The 2.1/2.2 development
cycle was less than perfect. Let's try to learn from it and do better in
the future. I think Linus is on the right track with 2.3. The sooner we
have a feature freeze, the better.

M Carling