Re: Kernels > 1M

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 01:50:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Zack Weinberg wrote:

>Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>
>> >In short, you're proposing a massive project, and hasn't come up with
>> >any justification other than the fact that "the other guys do it", which
>> >is no justification at all.
>>
>> without mention that the guys that are using a plain ELF kernel image
>> can't do a `cp /vmlinuz /dev/fd0` and boot from floopy without using a
>> boot loader as we can instead do 8). Being able to boot a machine with
>> only a kernel-image is more robust IMO.
>
>Misconception. You can't cp /usr/src/linux/vmlinux to /dev/fd0 and

My email was only "if other OS have an ELF kernel image then other OS
can't boot the kernel with only the kernel image". Our kernel image is not
ELF and so we have a chance to have a bootable kernel image.

>.../arch/i386/boot/zImage to /dev/fd0 and have it work, but I never
>proposed we break that. (And what I want would let you do e.g.

I never said that writing a new bootloader (with the 16bit code duplicated
in it) would break zImage.

Andrea