Re: Timer interrupt frequency

Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:29:49 +0200

--ZfOjI3PrQbgiZnxM

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 01:36:53PM +0200, Stephane Letz wrote:
>=20
> We are developing a kernel module which needs a task to be done with a 1
> millisecond resolution.
>=20
> - Is there any way to change the frequency of the timer interrupt up to
> 1kHz, or install a fast timer interrupt to be done at 1kHz and keep the
> usual 100 Hz timer interrupt for processes? Or do we need to use a
> real-time kernel like RT Linux?

You can just change the HZ to 1000 (or 1024) in include/asm-i386/param.h.
This however will break some userspace apps that assume HZ=3D=3D100 in that=
they
will report wrong times. Also some places in the kernel might not be
completely HZ!=3D100 clean.

Artur Skawina <skawina@geocities.com> has a patch to address these problems.
Ask him. (Sorry: I don't know if he set up a web page.)

Regards,
--=20
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> Wuppertal, FRG
PGP2 key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development
SuSE GmbH, N=FCrnberg, FRG SCSI drivers: tmscsim(DC390), DC395

--ZfOjI3PrQbgiZnxM

--ZfOjI3PrQbgiZnxM--