Re: 2.2.11 unstable?

Jon Masters (mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:44:18 +0100

I don't recall saying that I was having frequent crashes under 2.2.10 - perhaps you
areconfusing me with sdmebody else? I *have* been experiencing sound problems, but
they have never affected system stability! Yes,I did have 2.2.10 running for > 30
days!!! I usually upgrade a kernel and then it runs without problems for
weeks/months/however long it is until the next patch/re-compile. Basically I can
count on one hand the number of times my machine has actually crashed (times it has
crashed that weren't directly my fault - e.g. running programs which don't crash the
system, but run forever and lock out all control while the kernel is fine -
anyway...). My hardware really is fine. The machine is under a year old, I built it
myself, 2.2.10 runs fine and no hw problems are being detected by anything. Besides,
there simply weren't *that* many changes between 2.2.10 and 2.2.11 to show such a
massive difference on the same hardware even if it were faulty!

--
Jonathan C. Masters (jonathan@oxlug.org) PGP: www.brookes.ac.uk/~95227860/KEY

"Upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it". -- Matthew 16, 17-18