Re: module aliases

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:18:46 -0700

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 20:55:55 -0500,
"Gregory T. Norris" <haphazard@socket.net> wrote:
>Periodically I get the following messages in my logfiles:
>
> modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-1
> modprobe: can't locate module sound-service-1-0
>
>How can I tell for certain which modules I need to add an alias for, or
>if I should alias them off entirely? I'm running kernel version 2.2.11,

>From linux/drivers/sound/sound_core.c

/*
* Please, don't change this order or code.
* For ALSA slot means soundcard and OSS emulation code
* comes as add-on modules which aren't depend on
* ALSA toplevel modules for soundcards, thus we need
* load them at first. [Jaroslav Kysela <perex@jcu.cz>]
*/
sprintf(mod, "sound-slot-%i", unit>>4);
request_module(mod);
sprintf(mod, "sound-service-%i-%i", unit>>4, chain);
request_module(mod);

If the absence of any documentation for these values, ask the person
who wrote the comment.