Re: Basic modules and System.map question

kiko (kiko@radiumsystems.com.br)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:58:48 -0300 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Eric Hicks wrote:

> Where on the net can I find a detailed explanation of modules, and how to
> set them up properly when I compile a new kernel. I'm tired of compiling

Hah - this isn't documented anywhere nicely, it seems. I looked for ages
for a conf.modules guide but never found one, and then banged my head till
I had one that worked with my hardware. I'll do a writeup of a basic
guide, but not right now.

> all my drivers into the kernel. It seems like everything works fine when I
> load the standard kernel that comes with a particular RH distro, but when I
> upgrade the kernel, I get all kinds of messages. Specifically, where's a
> resource I could use to set things up as tightly as RedHat does when they
> ship a kernel version.

Tightly? Ugh, redhat. Well, you should have a look in your 'rc' files. One
problem you might run into is that redhat (at least what I've seen) might
not be running depmod -a (and ldconfig, but that another matter) on
bootup.

You should have no problem, really, don't mind Redhat's nonsense, just
make modules, modules_install and depmod -a. Then you can try modprobing
stuff, and if it's working, move on to getting conf.modules ready for
kmod.

k.