Re: Installing linux via serial port

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:50:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Peter Liniker wrote:

>Is it possible to install linux on a PC without a graphics card and
>monitor via the serial cable, like it's possible on SparcStations?
>
>More specifically I'm trying to install RedHat 6.0.
>
>The machine I'm installing on has serial ports and a network connection.
>All I need is a way to see what would be on the screen to use the
>installation program.

I don't think so. Chuck a cheapo card in it, and a monitor and
keyboard, do the install, configure the serial console as per the
howto for it, make sure networking is up so telnet is working,
and then shutdown, rip out the graphics card,monitor,keyboard,
and access the machine over the LAN or via serial console.

In short, you'll be doing what I do.

486-66 firewall, with no hardware other than a modem and NIC in
it. I access it via telnet/ssh and null modem for when the NIC
is down (backup).

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Drop me a line if you require a Linux system administator. I administer Linux machines over the net.