Re: How to setup Linux server use > 64MB RAM

Thierry Vignaud (tvignaud@mandrakesoft.com)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:02:44 +0000

Dave DeMaagd wrote:

> Thierry Vignaud <tvignaud@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
> > > Sorry for stupid question, but I forgot that document.
> > > Pls. show me the document that explains it in detail if possible.
> >
> > linux is said to be able to view all memory by itself.
> > sadly, there are bogus motherboards that prevent him to view more than
> > 64Mb.
> > look at man bootparams : you may append either "mem=128m" or
> > "mem=0x8000000"
> >
> That should only be necessary if you are using a 2.0.x kernel, the
> 2.[123].x kernels should not require that (I don't think it'll hurt).

Well, here, were are working on workstations provided with 64, 128 or
256MB. Some of them have'nt any problemn for detecting the whole mem,
others cannot do this.
And the option "os/2 detect <64Mb" in bios has no effect (in fact no
GOOD effect: my pc detect 64mb on 128 with this option disabled and 16
when enabled ...)

But this is more a problem whith bogus bioses than whith kernel.
unfortunately, this is on what final users'll judge linux.

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
	somewhere between the playstation and the super cray