Re: 2.0.38 compiling problems - gcc 2.7.2.1

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:04:12 -0400

Richard Brunner wrote:
> I noticed, that this error doesn´t always occur with the same file, at
> least I think so.
> I hope you can help me, thank you
[...]

6. Why does my kernel compilation stops at random locations with:
"Internal compiler error: program cc1 caught fatal signal 11."?

(REW) Sometimes bad hardware causes this. Read the Web page
at http://www.BitWizard.nl/sig11/ about this. The important word here is
random. If it stops at the same place every time, the kernel source
might have a glitch or your compiler might be bad. The Web page is
mostly about the random error source: hardware. There is a bunch of
different error messages that you can get if you have bad or marginal
hardware.

(ADB) Overclocked processors very often fail long
compilations with a sig11, because a long gcc compilation puts more
strain on the processor. As the processor heats up, it may attain a
point where internal timings get out of spec. At this point, something
gives and you get a sig11. Also, some old K6 revisions would sig11 when
compiling large programs if > 32 Mb of RAM were installed on the Linux
box. AMD will exchange these faulty processors for free. Benoit
Poulot-Cazajous correctly diagnosed the problem and devised an ingenious
test for this bug that is run at boot time in 2.2.x kernels.