Re: Stale NFS file handles and race conditions...

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:12:32 +0200 (CEST)

> I was thinking something similar, and exactly as your e-mail
> came in I was looking at those chunks of code. So, I did a
> quick test, tried your patch, and it didn't work (same
> problem.)

Yep. I've found it. You're probably hitting the second such test in
dcache.c:d_invalidate():

/*
* Somebody else still using it?
*
* If it's a directory, we can't drop it
* for fear of somebody re-populating it
* with children (even though dropping it
* would make it unreachable from the root,
* we might still populate it if it was a
* working directory or similar).
*/
if (dentry->d_count > 1) {
if (dentry->d_inode && S_ISDIR(dentry->d_inode->i_mode))
return -EBUSY;
}

This one's harder to get rid of...

Cheers,