Subject: [IDE] hdc: status error: status = 0x58

Vince Weaver (weave@eng.umd.edu)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:41:13 -0400 (EDT)

>(A.S. I tried to write to hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu, but the mail
> bumped back to me :-( )

> Hope this is not a mere hardware problem: it shouldn't, because I
>fschecked the disk successfully some day ago.
> The disk is a JTS PALLADIUM of 850 MB, and I have it since 1996. It
>is
>master of the second IDE channel, together with a cdrom drive set to
>slave
>(the hd jumper is correctly set "master with slave", too). My kernel is
>2.2.11, but I tried even 2.0.36 with the same results. Sometimes,
>especially
>during long disk operations, the following lines do appear:
>
>hdc: status error: status = 0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
>hdc: drive not ready for command

I have the same exact hard-drive, and the exact same problem.

Go into your bios and change the PIO mode for that hard-drive down to PIO
mode 2. It can't take it any faster, even though it says it can do PIO4.

I had one in a 486 with no problems. When I upgraded to a K6/via
motherboard, the on-board IDE tried to run the drive to fast. Took me
forever to figure out what it was. This also can cause filesystem
corruption so be careful.

I don't know if it is possible to blacklist this drive or what. Setting
PIO mode using hdparm doesn't work, you have to do it in the BIOS.

Vince