Re: error: dst cache overflow in kernel 2.3.15

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:12:20 +1200

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 08:50:51PM +0400, kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> > Aug 27 16:00:01 katherin kernel: dst cache overflow
>
> And how did you manage to bring it to this grief? 8)

Alexey -- I also see this, but only on my work machine. It first
appeared with 2.3.15-pre3, pre2 and before were (I beleive)
unaffected.

I'm using the same compiler (gcc-2.95) and work and home, but
different NICs although I don't think that's the problem.

> Jokes apart, if you did not see it earlir, it is new leak,
> which is unlikely, but impossible to exclude.
> I need to know what you did to search for this leak.
> Actually, you might check this:
>
> # cat /proc/slabinfo | grep ip_dst_cache
> # echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/flush
> # cat /proc/slabinfo | grep ip_dst_cache
> # cat /proc/slabinfo | grep ip_dst_cache
> # cat /proc/slabinfo | grep ip_dst_cache

I can't seem to replicated it here (at home); it may have something
to do with the network load. At home, the load is fairly light,
whereas at work, the load is much greater. When I first boot at work,
everything looks normal (lo is up, it's not that) but after a short
period of time, usually associated with about 100MB of network
transfers, networking croaks... I can't even ping localhost.

I'll try to reproduce this here and see happens...

-cw