Re: [OT] Re: searchable kernel archive

Joe (joeja@mindspring.com)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:18:10 -0400

Kervin wrote:

> there is also http://mail-archive.com This list and lots of other linux
> related list are archived there.

this is probably one of the better ones I have been informed of as it includes
more then JUST the "linux-kernel" mailling lists. However I did not see the
"linux-smp" archive included there, but it looks like it could be added? I did
not try but am real interested to know if any of these mailing lists
searchable archives allow one to search useing regular expressions ? Most
seemeed to have failed on a complex search like "ppp AND slowdown" which did
not yueild results, where as "ppp slowdown" yeilded better results, so I am
guessing they wounld't do RE's. Some seemed to fail on a search of just
"2.2.12" which means if I wanted to know all the problems and info on a
specific kernel verison I may have a tough time finding this info. But thanks
again.

> BTW. I've also been having strange pppd problems. The connection slows
> down to the point where it can't complete the connection (logs the "all
> bits set to zero" error in messages log) whenever I have a sound card in
> the box (not even configured or anything, just inserted in the box).

I have a SB AWE64, but I am not sure how that could be effecting the modem.
The only thing I can think of is that maybe there is some IRQ overlap
somewhere, or misdirected IRQ's? But if that were the case then why are not
more people experiencing this problem? and wouldn't this effect other devices
on the system? Since it does not, and several have told me this it is probably
either a modem problems or ISP problem, rather than a kernel problem.

I have been asking my ISP reapeatedly, and they have finally said that there
could be problems with there connection and gave me another number to try to
use. Also since my problems seem to happen at certain time of the day. For
instance at 8:30pm forget it, if I get a connnection I'll probably be dropped,
but now 9AM I am fine.

I am using 2.2.12 with pppd 2.9, and the kernel patch that was mentioned on
this list and appeared in kernel traffic #30(?).

--
Joseph Acosta ........ SMP Linux / Windows NT 4.0
home: joeja@mindspring.com