Re: idea: MAC level compression & crypto

Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
30 Aug 1999 17:45:02 +0200

Jim> It is certainly in the government's best interest to be vague
Jim> about exactly what is covered by crypto regs, and they are. The
Jim> US crypto regulations get their power because they can intimidate
Jim> people into not doing things that the courts would not let them
Jim> outlaw. The more precisly the regulations are defined the less
Jim> intimidating they are.

Jim> If you want to know the answer to your question, basically you
Jim> have to go ahead and do it and see if they try to put you in
Jim> jail. If you are like me you don't want to do this. See why its
Jim> vague?

It sounds more to me like you have been reading too much government
propaganda instead of thinking about what it actually means.

The US crypto laws are naiive and only hurts US businesses since the
crypto is already out there. It's like saying we are the only ones
smart enough to do crypto, but hey the rest of the world proved them
wrong again. Maybe they'll learn one day, the current laws are so
naiive it is unbelievable, it's hard to decide whether to laugh or
cry over it.

Anyway this is off topic for linux-kernel, if you want to reply do it
to me in private email please - I'll probably just ignore it anyway.

Jes