Re: 8390 & SMP

Rik van Riel (riel@humbolt.nl.linux.org)
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:58:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > This message appears in the logs (over and over and over...).
> > mirkwood kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3, ISR=0x3, t=1000.
>
> Its raising the irq but its never getting seen - as if it jammed

> I did a ton of work. The 8390 driver is believed rock solid on
> SMP. It does do a lot of enable/disable irq stuff so a bug there
> would explain it if it somehow confused the irq controller.

And of course, it seems like a hardware problem after all. I just
set the L2 cache to write-through (the BIOS set it to WB) and now
I can rip^Wbackup a CD, use the CPU, fill the network and play music
at the same time.

The crashes also seem to have stopped. <fx: knock on wood>

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.
--