Re: 2.2.12 Memory Leak?

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:43:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Robert Dinse wrote:

> But with 2.2.12, free mem just keeps decreasing, then swapd starts to
>increase, eventually it gets to a point where anything you try to do says
>"killed" and all you can do is reboot and start over.

So basically you meant that you have a buffer-leakage. Could you press
SYSRQ+M and show me the state of the buffers?

Maybe you may want to give a try also to this my two other patches:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/andrea/kernel-patches/my-2.2.12/no-swapout-2.2.10-B
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/andrea/kernel-patches/my-2.2.12/shrink_all_cache-2.2.10-A

they should to be applyed at the same time.

If the above patches won't make difference it means somebody forget to
release some buffer or something similar.

If you can reproduce on x86 then you can debug the thing with the ikd
patch.

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/andrea/kernel-patches/ikd/2.2.12-ikd1.gz

Andrea