Re: PATCH: Update for the serial driver.

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:46:56 +0200 (MEST)

Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> in drivers/char/tty_io.c) instead. It's even published in /proc/ksyms
> so that modular drivers can use it.

Aaargh. Sorry for the blank. It's just that I had never gotten around
to finding this function.

I'll submit the PCI IDs for two other supported cards later today.

Hmm. Lets do this right now.

VID DID SVID SDID base_baud name
1415 9501 11CB A004 115200 Speed4
11CB 9501 11CB A004 921600 Speed4+

1415 == OXFORD Semiconductor
9501 == OX16PCI954

Theodore, May I ask for a "name" field in your PCI-table? Then we can
say something like "Detected an xxxx card". That make supporting such
a card a lot easier: People get reassured that their card got
detected.

Do you want a patch, or do you want to do it yourself? (Or do you
dislike the idea so much that you say "not while I'm maintaining
this"?)

The Speed4 card is equipped with line drivers capable of 115k2, not
more. It would be best to disable (by default) the "clock multiplier
modes" of the 16PCI954/16C950. Or at least warn that this exceeds
specs for the card. (I'm pretty sure that you won't blow anything up,
as the Xfree team is afraid about....)

The same goes for the Speed4+ card. It's line drivers are capable of
1Mbps. So again the clock multiplier modes are not really
appropriate.

Do you want a patch, or do you want to do it yourself? (Or do you
dislike the idea so much that you say "not while I'm maintaining
this"?) (Where have I seen that before? ;-)

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------