Re: /proc/cpuinfo verbiage differ unnecessarily between ports...

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:36:13 +0100

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 10:44:57AM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Steve Dodd <dirk@loth.demon.co.uk> writes:

[cpuinfo]
> |> Would it not be more sensible to introduce a syscall or some such thing to
> |> do it?

> How about extending sysinfo(2)?

Without looking at it, what I think would be sensible is something that's
a read-only version of the sysctl stuff -- so we have a syscall, /and/ simply
formatted files in proc (probably just a single value per file). That way
the glibc people are happ(y|ier), and Mr. parsons can sit around attempting
to eliminate fork bombs by reading unchangeable values from files in /proc <g>

--
"His mind is like a steel trap -- full of mice"