Re: Standardized /proc/cpuinfo patch

Vince Weaver (weave@eng.umd.edu)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:47:47 -0400 (EDT)

On 2 Sep 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Vince> Tired of the talk, I made a patch ;)
>
> Which still doesn't contain vital information like info about the FPU
> type.

fpu type is arch dependent. Due to linux_logo development, I have
cpuinfo's for just about every intel compatible chip, plus 2 or 3 for
every non-intel architecture (except arm and sh). Most architectures have
fpu's built in, or else have adequate emulation already.

If you need to detect the m68k's cpu, parse down lower where my patch
keeps the "old" cpuinfo, down with the arch dependent stuff. It's no
different than searching for mmx or 3dnow. Once we put too much up top we
ruin the entire point of the patch.

> Vince> ---559023410-851401618-936213048=:13578 Content-Type:
> Vince> TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII;
> Vince> name="patch_arch_independent_cpuinfo-2.3.16"
> Vince> Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64 Content-ID:
> Vince> <Pine.GSO.4.10.9909011510480.13578@z.glue.umd.edu>
> Vince> Content-Description: Content-Disposition: attachment;
> Vince> filename="patch_arch_independent_cpuinfo-2.3.16"
>
> Grrr if people would start posting things in plain text instead of
> $#@$@! base64 it would be a lot easier to read patches posted to l-k.

sorry, I don't post patches to this list often. Should I just do an
"read file" to include the patch under pine instead of attaching it?

Vince