Re: Freezes on bootup with 2.2.12

jehill@nexis.org
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:00:00 -0700

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 09:53:22PM -0700, jehill@nexis.org wrote:
> I installed 2.2.12 on my dual PPRO and found that it wouldn't boot
> completely.

All right. Just in case anyone was looking in to this, I'll mention
that I solved it... It doesn't appear to have been a linux problem,
rather it was a BIOS problem. After reading through the linux-SMP
faq, I noted that the early Tyan BIOSs were just generally anti-social.
I flashed a new BIOS in place and now it seems to work.

A few notes about this problem so it can be more easily recognized
in the future:

The SMP/non-SMP issue wasn't was as clear cut as I first thought;
It seems to more of a memory layout / timing issue, because I managed
to get a non-SMP kernel to exhibit the same freeze when I used a
different configuration on the same machine.

I'm not absolutely sure that I 'solved' anything. I may have just
changed the timing in such a way that it no longer exhibits the
problem at all...

Josh

--
|   Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers.    |