Re: Temporary freeze in 2.2.5 on SMP box. NOT!!!

Harvey J. Stein (hjstein@bfr.co.il)
02 Sep 1999 16:54:28 -0400

hjstein@bfr.co.il (Harvey J. Stein) writes:

> My linux box just froze for ~ 15 seconds. I was in X. The pointer
> froze, the capslock key didn't toggle the capslock light, etc... It
> seems to be fine now that it's warmed up again. The logs showed:
>
> Sep 2 11:46:41 blinky kernel: stuck on TLB IPI wait (CPU#0)
> Sep 2 11:46:41 blinky last message repeated 23 times

It happened again. This time X didn't come back & I ultimately had to
reboot. But, I was able to log in from another box on the net. I
had:

blinky kernel: stuck on TLB IPI wait (CPU#0)

again according to dmesg, but I think they were the ones from the
previous freeze, because they didn't show up in /var/log/messages &
other things did. The screen, mouse & kbd seemed frozen, but the
system responded to the magic-sysrq key (not on the screen, but the
to XLATE didn't get the system back. X was up at 50% utilization
before I killed it. Now it looks more like X or the video card seized
up. Anyone have any other ideas?

Video card according to output from startx:

(--) SVGA: PCI: NVidia Riva TNT rev 4, Memory @ 0xe0000000, 0xe3000000
(--) SVGA: chipset: RIVATNT
(--) SVGA: videoram: 16256k

--