RE: /proc/cpuinfo verbiage differ unnecessarily between ports...

Felipe Eduardo Gonzalez (fgonzale@capital.com.sv)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:35:28 -0500

By the way, I have looking for the way that I can get information such as %usr, %sys, %idle, in archives of /proc, and a others things that TOP presents us, and I can not find them.
----------
De: Vince Weaver [SMTP:weave@eng.umd.edu]
Enviado el: Miércoles 1 de Septiembre de 1999 12:18 PM
Para: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Asunto: Re: /proc/cpuinfo verbiage differ unnecessarily between ports...

well, I am an author of one of those "user-space tools" that reads
/proc/cpuinfo.

<PLUG>http://www.glue.umd.edu/~weave/vmwprod/linux_logo</PLUG>

Trying to keep up-to date on this, with the varous ports, is nearly
impossible. cpuinfo structures change, even between stable kernel trees
[2.0.32 I remember changed a bunch of them]. The "sysinfo_ix86.c" file in
my aforementioned program is 7k of various complicated text parsing and
checking just to try to print out a sane name for the CPU.

And between the ports, it is even worse. Some have "bogomips" some
"BogoMips" some "bogoMIPS" and some even "bogo mips". Extraneous spaces,
colons, etc... it is just a mess.

Whenever this comes up though people say cpuinfo is for human eyes
only, it should not be parsed. But when someone suggests making a syscall
for it, everyone decries that idea too.

WHat would be nice would be a standard, something like this

number_of_cpus: 1
cpu_type: K6-2
cpu_manufacturer: AMD
cpu_speed: 350Mhz
bogomips: 680.2

then follow it by platform dependent stuff like

cpu_id: AuthenticAMD
fpu: yes
flags: blah blah blah

if enough people think this is a good idea, I might try to work out a
patch that does this.

If not, I will let the mess continue. I have to maintain the code one way
or another; it would be nicer just to have ther kernel do the right thing.

PS. Here are some illustrations of how cpuinfo files can differ