Re: /proc/cpuinfo verbiage differ unnecessarily between ports...

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 23:19:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Glen Turner wrote:
> Felipe Eduardo Gonzalez wrote:
> > Whenever this comes up though people say cpuinfo is for human eyes
> > only, it should not be parsed. But when someone suggests making a syscall
> > for it, everyone decries that idea too.
> > WHat would be nice would be a standard, something like this
> > number_of_cpus: 1
> > cpu_type: K6-2
> > cpu_manufacturer: AMD
> > cpu_speed: 350Mhz
> > bogomips: 680.2
> As the author of some SNMP code, I'd like to see the *whole*
> of /proc adopt a consistent, simple to parse, simple to read,
> simple to write structure.

I bitched about this in 1997.

http://www.anime.net/~goemon/procfs.html

The response I got was that procfs didnt need standards, it didnt need to
change, and wasnt going to change.

Note: a few things have changed since I wrote this, but not much.

-Dan