Re: PROBLEM: Kernel Hangs - It really does.

Rik van Riel (riel@humbolt.geo.uu.nl)
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 23:12:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Prashant TR wrote:

> PROBLEM/BUG 1: (INIT 7, 8 AND 9)
>
> I type init 7 and the system doesn't shutdown properly. This is
> true with init 8 and init 9 as well. Is this a bug ? If yes, can
> something be done about that ?

First, this is a userspace problem because normally only
init levels 0-6 and S are defined. Read the manual and
/etc/inittab for more details.

> PROBLEM/BUG 2: (KERNEL CRASH)

It's not a kernel crash, read below.

> Basically, I run the file "rundoom". "rundoom" itself spawns several
> processes and finally "doom" comes up.
>
> I then switch to another console where I login as "root". I say
> "ps -a" which gives me the PID of "rundoom". I then say "kill <pid of
> rundoom>" and then switch to the console where I'm playing doom. The

SVGAlib programs have control over the hardware. Full control
over the hardware, passing by the kernel.

This means that if you (being root) are stupid enough to kill
those programs and then switch to a console the kernel doesn't
have control over (because it gave control to the svgalib
program), then you're stuck on a non-working terminal.

In short, make sure that svgalib programs clean themselves up
properly or use the framebuffer driver instead of the svgalib
one...

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.
--