Re: Automatic memory size detection

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:02:30 +0200

On Sep 06, Massoud Asgharifard wrote:

> Hi,
> Can any one kindly explain why automatic memory size detection works on
> some motherboards, and refuses to do so on some others?

because some BIOS versions are more broken than others in respect of
reporting the amount of RAM being installed.

> I've a Gigabyte 5AA, with AMD-K6/2-366MHz, with 128M ram, and I've change
> the /etc/lilo.conf when I add or remove ram from the system.

you don't mention which Linux kernel version you're using.
old versions may not handle broken BIOSes as gracefully as more recent
Linux versions do. maybe you should try 2.2.12 instead of 2.0.x ?!

> Thanks in advance,
>
> --masu
> P.S: I am on the list, so: do not CC me please! :^)
> -
> This message is Ozone-Friendly.
> -
>

> -

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\