Re: Serial proxy driver help...

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:44:51 +0200 (MEST)

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <199909070939.LAA00849@cave.BitWizard.nl>
> By author: R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl (Rogier Wolff)
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > and my string script would become:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > connect_serial_ports /dev/ttysr1 /dev/ttysr2
> > connect_serial_ports /dev/ttysr3 /dev/ttysr4
> > connect_serial_ports /dev/ttysr5 /dev/ttysr6
> > connect_serial_ports /dev/ttysr6 /dev/ttysr8
> >
> > which looks a bit nicer.
> >

> What's this /dev/ttysr* device? Not only is no such device registered
> with me, it violates the tty namespace conventions.

The driver for this thing isn't even in beta yet.

>From my mailbox:

> From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com>
> To: Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl>
> Subject: Re: Request for MORE specialix device numbers...
>
> Major assignments:
>
> 154 /dev/ttySR0..255
> 155 /dev/cusr0..255
> 156 /dev/ttySR256..511
> 157 /dev/cusr256..511
>
> Minor assignment:
>
> 169 /dev/specialix_rioctl
>
> -hpa

I must admit that I made a typo in the config file and thus currently
use the lower case ttysr instead of the ttySR names. Sorry about
that. Those are internal use here only ok? I'll make sure that the
config file "ttySR%d" gets distributed.

While we're at it, may I ask you to swap major 155 and 156? That way
the 9 minor bits are contiguous.

my_minor = MINOR(dev)+ 256 * (MAJOR(dev)&1);

instead of the not-working, non-obvious:

my_minor = MINOR(dev)+ 128 * (MAJOR(dev)&2);

Best regards,

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------