Re: I vote for updated RAID and KNFSD

M Carling (m@idiom.com)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:40:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, David Weinehall wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, M Carling wrote:
>
> > My main point was that the thread had gone on for a dozen posts without
> > anyone specifying whether they were talking about 2.2 or 2.3 and how
> > clearly this shows that some developers make little if any distinction
> > between the developmental and the "stable" series.
>
> You missed the beginning of the thread, I guess. The reason this thread
> came to life was when Alan decided not to include some patches to knfsd &
> raid in v2.2.11 (or was it 12?); thus it's pretty clear that we (at least
> in the beginning of the thread) was talking of v2.2 kernels.

I think I read the whole thread. At least on the archive aerver, it never
mentioned 2.2 or 2.3 until I brought it up.

I was also aware of the earlier RAID thread which was clearly about 2.2.
Actually, Alan included the new RAID code and Linus rejected it.

> The problem is, that most people won't use an unstable kernel on
> production systems, still they want new drivers to support their hardware.
> And it's impossible to keep track of 3 kernel trees; just 2 trees is
> almost one too much; some bugfixes takes quite some time to propagate from
> one tree to the other.

Production systems already have the drivers they need. If they didn't,
they couldn't be running in production, could they?

> > Everyone seems to agree that the "stable" kernels could and should be more
> > stable. I've suggested a methodology for achieving increased stability.
> > Several posters don't like my suggestion, but they haven't offered an
> > alternative.
>
> The only way to get stable kernels is that more persons test the unstable
> kernels in my opinion. The trouble is that the circle of developers that
> are most likely to test the kernels have a limited set of hardware, uses a
> limited set of software, etc.

Obviously, more testing would help, but how to get more people to test?
Also, it is clearly not the _only_ way to get better stability, as I have
suggested another way.

M Carling