Re: I vote for updated RAID and KNFSD

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 14:12:15 +0200 (MEST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> The RAID code is considered stable (and even more stable than the
> old version), so there's no reason from a stability point of view
> not to include it. You seem to be confusing staticness and
> stbility. 2.2 is meant to be "stable" but not static.

Talking about confusing: Some people (rightly, I think) feel that
within a stable release, you shouldn't be required to upgrade userland
tools. A system installed with 2.2.0 should be seamlessly upgradeable
to 2.2.12. Everyone knows that when you go from 2.0.x to 2.2.x, you
might (and as it happens, WILL) have to upgrade a few userland
packages, but within a stable kernel release, an upgrade shouldn't
lead to an avalange of user-space-program upgrades.

As I understand things, the RAID code works for some who hate to have
to upgrade their tools "for nothing", but not for others, who hate to
have to keep on patching their kernel.

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------