Re: BusLogic + SMP == broke

Pauline Middelink (middelink@telin.nl)
Thu, 09 Sep 1999 16:41:07 +0200

Brian Macy wrote:

> Stephen Frost wrote:
> >
> > Get any funny kernel errors on the screen when these locks happened?
> > I've got a BT958D in an SMP machine, and basically every day, damn near EVERY
> > day, it'll lock on me w/ a message bitching about a scsi error or something,
> > I'd have to go look it up again...
>
> Not so lucky... what happens nearly every time:
> - Do a preview scan (xsane, net SANE, or xscanimage)
> - Do a scan at 300dpi
> - Stops part way into the scan and the app doing the scanning locks
> - About 30seconds later the entire machine locks solid, no message, no
> anything

I had the same kind of problem on the Alpha, luckely the FAQ helped. It
seems the
scanner I had (Mustek 600) does not do SCSI-disconnects and thus hangs
the bus
when the kernel tries to swap the very big image...

Solution I did was telling the SCSI driver the scanner could'nt do
disconnects
(disc:n) and writing the file to an NFS drive...

This works till I scan stuff which is bigger than the 88MB memory :)

Pauline