Re: 'Current correctly-operating ps?'

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:26:36 -0400 (EDT)

Richard B. Johnson writes:

> Is there a 'ps' that shows terminals when they are virtual
> terminals?

Yes.

If you can't wait for the official package, use this:
http://www.cs.uml.edu/~acahalan/linux/procps-990909.tar.gz
Beta testers can send bug reports directly to me, ignoring
the instructions in the package.

Debian's unstable branch will most likely be updated within a week.
The procps-2.0.x package ought to appear soon, depending on the
workload at Red Hat AFAIK.

The change list covers everything since the procps-990520 snapshot.
Both procps-2.0.3 and Debian's unstable have some of the updates
already, with neither being a perfect subset or superset of the other.
(most likely they are both enough, but you should be the beta tester)

-- change list --

new sysctl program from BSD (GPL version by George Staikos)
avoid stripping scripts
w PCPU and WHAT output fixed
top batch mode now works without a tty
new version of watch (Mike Coleman adds WINCH, diff option, etc.)
sessreg removed
fixed dead variables and lack of "static" ("nm" tool helps)
fixed header files, declarations, etc.
skill output made pretty, including device names
skill runs faster
kill command can do Solaris tricks: kill -l ABRT 2 4 POLL
signal name fixes ("top" ought to accept names now)
fix for Linux 1.x (no joke) tty devices
totally new System.map and WCHAN code -- no more crashes I hope
ps works on libc 6.1 systems now
ps ignores window size changes
vmstat code cleanup
new light-weight ps for single-floppy systems (under 8 kB & no lib)
enables these: -W -Wstrict-prototypes -Wshadow -Wcast-align
proc/psdata.h removed
removed lots of dead code
added first code for /usr/proc/bin/pmap (does not work)
better "make clean" and "make distclean"
signames.h was TOTALLY EMPTY (on failure, top sends sig 15)
another gdb-support change
note System.map locations for future search reduction
more /etc/psdatabase support removal; proc/psdata.h is no more
setuid check moved
pr_etime fixed (was terribly bad -- nobody told me?)
pr_cp added
IRIX -T option reserved
debugging junk removed
#if out some ps options that are not really supported
removed tload2.c
change 'time' to 't' to avoid conflict with libc
chage these too: index signal utime stime div sin
#if out some useless calculation in top
better message for top
note new maintainer in vmstat.c
fixed some of dozens of signed/unsigned troubles