Re: network devices and passing options to kernel

Lauri Tischler (lauri.tischler@efore.fi)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:03:58 +0300

David Woodhouse wrote:

> samkaski@cs.helsinki.fi said:
> > On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Lauri Tischler wrote:
> >
> > > maybe optimum vould be
> > > options tulip eth0 mac=00:11:22:33:44:55, eth2 mac=12:14:13:13:13:13
> > > options 3c905 eth1 mac=00:60:06:ee:ee:12
> >
> > Hear, hear!
> >
> > I too would like to see something like this but my uneducated guess is
> > that your method wouldn't be do'able since you don't know the MAC before
> > you "activate" the NIC. I may be mistaking.

Some boards have their mac-addresses on small labels or stickers.
Also when assembling the box, one might put in the nics in one-by-one to
find
and write down the mac-addresses for final assembly.

> Can't this be done in userspace later? ISTR you can change the name of an
> interface - so before setting them up you should be able to switch the names
> around to your heart's content.

Yes, by using 'ip' from package 'iproute2', but the name of interface
depends on three things, loading order of drivers, pcidevice BIOS detection
and probing method of driver, you have no control over the last two.

--
Lauri Tischler, Network Admin
Tel:    +358-9-47846331        *       Mouse movement detected      *