Re: network devices and passing options to kernel

Matthew G. Marsh (mgm@paktronix.com)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:54:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > on a server i administrate we have two pci cards - one is DECtupis and
> > the other VIA-rhino. on the boot up, the monolithic kernel detects both
> > of the cards (it's given parameters from the lilo). the problem i have is
> > how can i _force_ the kernel or drivers to accept the order in which i
> > want them.
>
> You can't. PCI Probe order in Linux is the BIOS probe order. Swap the cards
> in the slots if its that important.
> Alan

And if you want you can use Alexey's ip utility to rename them. Fairly
simple proceedure. For example you know that the Via always comes up on
eth0 and the tulip on eth1. What I do on my firewalls is assign a human
readable name to them before assigning any addresses.

ip link set eth0 name inet0
ip link set eth1 name internal0

Of course this must occur without the cards active - IE: before ifconfig
or ip link set <dev> up.

<Shameless Plug>

I have complete configuration and initialization scripts that do all of
this using Alexey's utilitites. They completely replace the init scripts
and allow you to do things like rename the interfaces and add multiple IP
addresses (not Aliases - addresses). They have been written for our
firewall systems and are being published in the Linux Networking &
Security Unleashed book from SAMS due out Jan 2000. The entire firewall
system is GPL'ed and will be released to the web sometime in Nov-Dec 1999.

</Shameless Plug>

Meanwhile if you want to do such naming you could use Alexey's IPROUTE2.

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street
Omaha NE 68104