Re: 2.2, es1370, stereo, 8bit

Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:56:36 +0200

Wade Hampton wrote:

> I also have problems with /dev/audio. On my other sound cards,
> cat'ing a .au file to /dev/audio works well. On the ES1370, I
> get noise. 16-bit play seems fine. Using vplay (modified to
> expand uLaw to 16-bit) or esdplay I can play the file fine.
> I think the driver is not properly expanding uLaw or such.

If you read Documentation/sound/es1370.txt, you'd know
that it doesn't implement ALaw and uLaw, because the hardware
doesn't support these formats and due to the mmap interface
converting sample formats in the driver is infeasible.

Besides it announces not being able to play these formats,
apps should check the return values from ioctl commands.

Tom