Re: driver for 3COM USR PCI v.90 modem?

Jamie Lokier (jamie.lokier@cern.ch)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:32:52 +0200

Daniel J Blueman wrote:
> If I can get some tech docs, I'd try my hand
> at writing a driver. Hmmm...

Some of us are reverse engineering Lucent's chips. A consequence of "my
laptop has a Winmodem". No easy upgrade there. I don't want to buy and
carry a separate card.

If you have the inclination you're welcome to join in, or to start work
on any of the others. Even a really crufty hack which can get the modem
online, and send and receive samples even if it's done badly, is a
useful bit of work. I'm sure something on the Rockwell modems would be
especially appreciated by many.

Also if you find a relevant looking doc, e.g. files containing lists of
modem-specific "S" registers for a particular software modem, or
timings, or country-specific requirements, or technical docs on related
chips, or docs that summarise architectures even if they don't go into
detail, these are all useful.

I think we've got enough on Lucent now. No working driver yet, but it's
coming. But I don't think anyone's worked on anyone else's chips yet.

See http://www.linmodems.org/

thanks,
-- Jamie

[ ps. IMO the (DSP) hardware is good stuff; the evil is in using
non-disclosure to restrict the software I can use on the computer when
I'm using the modem. Something about anti-trust comes to mind.

Because the Big Secrets are in the clever Mo and Dem parts, and
everyone has basically the same kind of Secret code, one free winmodem
driver ought to remove the incentive for manufacturers keeping their
(POTS) modem details secret. That is my motivation for working on this.
One can hope. We'll probably have to go through the same cycle again
for ADSL unfortunately. ]