Re: bug in linux 2.2.10 and 2.2.12 ip or network layer

Thomas Gschwendtner (tgs@bu.edu)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:39:59 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:

> > So... BPF samples the packets before they hit the ethernet on the local
> > machine, isn't that right? And therefore, tcpdump on the local machine
>
> Yes but they may still be lost because the ethernet is full so they fall
> out of the send queue. That isnt infinite either.

I'm not sure if I understand this right. Once a packet leaves the TCP
layer and it can not be passed to the ethernet hardware immediately, the
packet is not buffered, it is discareded?! Is that right? Why can it not
stay in some sk_buff list? When there is no more system memory
available, then the send system call will block and therefore there
should be always enaugh memory to buffer the packet for a wile.

tgs