Re: SNA

Christopher Horn (chorn@warwick.net)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:00:51 -0400

Regarding the LLC stuff, I think Tim Alpaerts wrote the original
implementation that Alan Cox integrated into the kernel. Tim and Roger
Bowler have since done some additional work on it, and Roger added a
DLPI user interface for it. These patches were apparently not accepted
into the kernel as Jay Schulist had rewritten the LLC layer as part of
his Linux-SNA project. As Jay has now gone commercial with his code
through ICE networking, and the code no longer appears to be available
under the GPL, it does not appear any of it is going to be folded into
the mainstream kernel anytime soon. So I'm not sure where that leaves
things at the moment in terms of us ever having a free SNA
implementation for Linux.

Roger Bowler has also implemented a 3270 Gateway on top of the LLC
patches. I have not had time to play with any of it yet, but hope too
sometime next month. This is all available on his site, see
http://www.snipix.freeserve.co.uk/linux.html for some of this stuff and
some other odds and ends.

Cheers,
Chris