Re: I vote for updated RAID and KNFSD

Fred Reimer (fwr@ga.prestige.net)
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:38:22 -0400

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999, M Carling wrote:
> We do all of that. In fact, some of us even read this list. But that does
> not make it ok to deliberately break existing functionality within a
> "stable" kernel series. Consider that we must often upgrade kernels on an
> emergency basis as security vulnerabilities are fixed.
>
> M Carling

I'm sure someone responded to this already, but this is complete bull.
There has been no time that I am aware of that a new kernel has
been >RELEASED< to fix a security issue. There has always been
>PATCHES< that were integrated into later kernel releases. Correct me
if I'm wrong, and please don't consider this a troll, but this sounds
like complete FUD to me. "Oh, we >CAN'T< put the new RAID in the
"stable" kernel because then we wouldn't be able to correct security
holes as they are discovered!!!" Please.

fwr