Re: Bug in __bforget()?

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 21:22:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Jan Kara wrote:

>The test looks like:
> if (!atomic_dec_and_test(&buf->b_count) || buffer_locked(buf))
> goto in_use;
>But I think it should be:
> if (atomic_dec_and_test(&buf->b_count)...))
> goto in_use;
>Because buffer is in use when it has b_count > 0 and now whne b_count == 0.

With in_use in such place we mean "in_use by somebody else too". When
bforget is called b_count is always >= 1. So if decreasing it make b_count
zero and so atomic_dec_and_test returned 1, then it means the buffer is
not in use by another user too and we can simply forgot it. If it's inuse
by sombody else too (atomic_dec_and_test returned zero) then we have to
take the brelse path.

Andrea