RE: HPT-366 Corruption also happens under high load w/o RAID [WAS Re: RE: Disk Corruption with ide h

Tom Livingston (tsl@volition.org)
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 05:45:28 -0700

I wrote:
> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > just a suggestion - if it's a faulty cable or a single faulty disk, then
> > you can find the problematic disk (or group of disks) by using
> less than 9
> > disks in the RAID0 array. I'd first split it into a 4 and 5-disk group.
> > This presumes the test doesn't take too long.
>
> Thank you. However, this disk and cable have been in use in this raid set
> without error for at least 6 months. I just switched the cable on the
> hp-366 in question to a brand new (unwrapped it) udma-66 cable and I still
> see the same issue.

For completeness, here are two additional tests:

First, I built an eight disk raid0 set, using all of the 9 drives from the
previously mentioned raid0 set, except for the disk that resides on the
hpt-366 controller:
feb0546314dc05f83330c8a19323bbc4 -
feb0546314dc05f83330c8a19323bbc4 -
feb0546314dc05f83330c8a19323bbc4 -
feb0546314dc05f83330c8a19323bbc4 -
feb0546314dc05f83330c8a19323bbc4 -

Second, I rebuilt the original raid5 set, using the same nine drives and
cables, but only attached to the PDC & PIIX4 controllers, no disk connected
to the HPT-366
48ed7a0be7aac6a7f27be473737ee097 -
48ed7a0be7aac6a7f27be473737ee097 -
48ed7a0be7aac6a7f27be473737ee097 -
48ed7a0be7aac6a7f27be473737ee097 -
48ed7a0be7aac6a7f27be473737ee097 -

I'm pretty sure that should rule out a faulty disk or cable.

Tom