Re: Designing a keyboard controller

Nicolas Pitre (nico@cam.org)
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:51:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, J.D. Bakker wrote:

> [Hope this is not too off-topic...]
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm designing an embedded StrongARM-based system[1] that I want to use with
> Linux. I need to design a keyboard/mouse interface for this beast, and
> going by the kernel sources PS/2 seems the way to go (I'd really like to
> use commodity hardware to talk to X and friends).
>
> I've since found notes on how to capture a PS/2 stream with a
> microcontroller, but I don't know what the best interface is to offer
> Linux, ie what should the hardware look like when seen from the kernel .
> I'd rather not use an 8042 ;-), but I'm open for other suggestions. The
> StrongARM has an I/O space that is almost but not entirely unlike ISA, and
> I have some GP I/O pins to spare. Does anyone have an idea what the best
> interface would be ?

Whatever hardware you need, the best is really to use something that can
be atached to the so called pcmcia bus on the SA1100. You might need some
logic to decode the address and activate a chip-enable signal if you have
more than one port to address. A GPIO, preferably between 0 and 10, can
be used as interrupt line.

With such a setup around the SA1100, current ISA drivers can be used with
very minimal modifications as long as they aren't using DMA. The kernel
code for the SA1100 already provides access to that bus through the
in*()/out*() macros. You then have plenty of choice for an interface
chip.

Nicolas Pitre
nico@cam.org
nico@visuaide.com