Re: reboot after oops?

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:58:14 +0100

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 08:49:56AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Yoink! wrote:
>
> > I've been having a problem with a linux box oopsing. (Probably hardware, if
> > not, I'll post the oopsen later.) My question is this: is it possible to
> > configure a linux box to reboot itself after an oops? If not, why?
[snip]

> The reason for a 'panic' is so the machine is halted long enough for
> someone to find the problem. Registers, data values, etc., are preserved.

If it's important, it's probably worth investing in a hardware watchdog, to
catch the (hopefully exceedingly rare) cases where the machine hangs rather
than panic()ing.

Thinking about it: the kernel doesn't always panic on oopsen, does it? This
probably needs to be settable via sysctl, a la reboot-on-panic.

--
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of