Re: Yamaha CRW4416S problem playing audio CD's

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:49:36 +0200

On Mon, Sep 13 1999, Gregory A. Zornetzer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just got a Yamaha CRW4416S, firmware revision 1.0g, and put it on my
> linux box - the SCSI controller is an Adaptec 2940. Anyway, the drive
> seems to work beautifully, except that it has a problem when using the
> cdplay program from RH6.0.
>
> Invoking the CD player always seems to lock the SCSI bus. I have
> consistently seen loops of:
>
> Domain Validation Successful
>
> Performing Domain Validation
>
> I've also sometimes seen messages that say that the card is
> renegotiating at a lower speed due to Domain Validation failures.
>

> I rebooted into 2.2.13pre7 with init=/bin/sh, and used the debug=1
> option to the Uniform CD-Rom driver and got the list of messages below.
>
> Is this a problem with the drive's firmware, the linux drivers, or the
> SCSI controller? The drive seems to play audio fine in win95, and can
> read data CD's, and can use cdda2wav to rip audio tracks from the CD.
> I don't get linux-kernel directly, so I'd appreciate it if replies were
> also CC'ed to gazornetzer@students.wisc.edu

I'm fairly sure that this is either a cabling, termination,
or just plain miscommunication between your drive and the
Adaptec card. I'll let Doug comment on that. The CD-ROM
messages below look - the driver loaded, the application
opened the device, and you closed the app.

Just to make sure - is this problem also there in 2.2.12?

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer