Re: Shared text segments?

Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:59:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Spirilis wrote:

> I'm by no means a kernel programmer, but after pondering the issues of
> memory management, shared libraries, etc I came upon an idea.
>
> Has anybody considered making shared text segments? (text meaning the
> executable code + constant data, right?)
>
> This would allow e.g. one to run Emacs once, and then have 9 other people
> run Emacs without having to load the Emacs code core in again. Same
> concept as shared libraries.
>
> Or Netscape, since we all know how big of a monster Netscape is.
> This would allow for maximum memory efficiency on, for example, machines
> with low amounts of RAM. I remember when I used to use a 486/33MHz with
> 8MB RAM, I used to dread at the size of Lynx, but lynx was my favorite
> program to run. Having something like this would be excellent.
>
> Thanks to all who consider this idea
> -Eric

But it's done! Not only the 'C' runtime libraries, but soffice uses
shared libraries for it's code. You just have to recompile the
programs that you want to use shared libraries. Only a small
snippet that contains 'main()' needs to be replicated in principle.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
**** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ****
Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).