Re: Designing a keyboard controller

Robert Kondner (rkondner@home.com)
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:27:51 -0400

Hi,

Some years ago I wrote a keyboard driver using 2 parallel IO
bits. These were in a FPGA, logic allowed one line (KBCLK) to generate
interrupts when it changed states. I decoded Scan Code Set 2. I think
the PS/2 format is Scan Code Set 3, and it would be easier. This was
about 5 weeks of code, and required lots of tweaking with various
keyboards. Various keyboards do things a little different, ACK timeing,
Reset Functions were real problems. Newer keyboards (>1997) seemed
more consistent.

If you have specific question give me a shout. I suggest a small
FPGA to unload the ARM. There were a number of timing function that
were done in software. During some exception it took 100's of microsecs
in the ISR. The FPGA logic would off load this.

Having done it the hard way those 8042 devices look real nice. I have
a real respect for the code in those things.

Bob Kondner